- Monitoring media to promote best practices and fairness in the workplace.
- Increasing the number of black journalists in newsrooms.
- Being a group of professionals that honors journalism excellence and outstanding achievement.
- Supporting black journalists aiming to become media entrepreneurs and/or work independently.
- Encouraging students to become journalists.
- Providing professional development, training, fellowships, internships and scholarships.
- Increasing the number of African Americans working in academic journalism programs.
- Strengthening ties between black journalists in mainstream and black-owned media.
SAABJ is an affiliate chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists